It depends on whether your influence in the church is more formal or informal. If your influence is more informal (meaning that you don’t hold a leadership position), you can engage in the activities described in [HYPERLINK TO HOW CAN I GET STARTED IN MOBILIZING].
Be encouraged by the fact that often you can make the most impact in a Daniel-type capacity. Daniel had no official position, but was personally respected and had much influence without a committee membership or staff position! Steps you could take would include :
- Begin talking with the pastor(s) and missions committee members at your church. Ask to meet with them to learn more about how missions is led, and what the church does to mobilize its people for missions.
- If the church has an effective plan for mobilizing, ask leaders if you might begin to help in the mobilization process and events.
- If the church does not have a plan for mobilizing people for missions, and you’re respected as someone who’s informed about missions, you might next:
Ask if you could serve as a point person for publishing missions opportunities on the church’s website, social media, or in any printed publications.
Ask if you could start a missions interest group that would meet monthly or quarterly. Such a meeting would feature prayer for missions, and possibly a speaker to discuss topics of missions interest.
Offer to pass on to the missions committee samples of other churches’ mobilization practices.
If you are on the church staff, or on a missions/outreach team, you have the power to help lead the church in the process of mobilizing others. Assuming that other pastors/leaders object to developing a mobilization process, you can:
- Determine your sphere of mobilization. Are you mobilizing for the mission field, for local cross-cultural ministry, etc.?
- Develop guidelines for how to engage major types of people in your church: homeschooling moms, downtown businesspeople, college students, youth, etc.
- Develop tiered avenues for involvement (crawl, walk, run).
- Plan for how you will engage people and bring them into the mobilization process, such as:
Through the church’s website, bulletin and social media
Through personal conversations
Through an interactive website such as is available at http://www.onthecity.org/.
Through a monthly or quarterly missions interest group which would feature prayer and a speaker
First and last, pray for God to raise up people from your church for active involvement in missions!
We’re excited about this new online resource! Content is in the process of being created and ported. Please check back often and subscribe to our feed at https://propempo.com/rss.xml to be notified of updates. Interact with the content. Post links in email, Twitter, Facebook, etc. Recommend Propempo.com to friends. Prayerfully support Propempo.com and consider contributing to its content.